In this episode, I share a talk by entrepreneur and future thinker, Peter Diamandis focused on technology and the future of education. In the talk he shares his thinking about exponential thinking vs. linear thinking and exponential technologies such as artificial intelligence, robotics, virtual reality, 3D printing, genomics and synthetic biology, and space exploration.
Here are some of the questions and connections I make to leadership:
- Which technologies are the best entry points for you as a leader to think about in terms of impact on education? As leaders, we should be keeping an open mind – a growth mindset – AND critically thinking about the arguments that are being made around technolgies such as AI, virtual reality, robotics and 3D printing. For me personally, these are the technologies that tie most closely to our Profile of a Graduate. Although I have to admit, I haven’t thought about space exploration and genomic biology. From all signals, these two do seem to be a reality our children will be living with in the future. I wonder if our learners will have the dispositions and skills necessary to address potential ethical dilemmas surfaced by these and other technologies?
- If you read the Working At The Edge blog, you know that we in Salisbury have been grounding all of our conversations in our new Profile of a Graduate and beliefs about learning. If you are thinking about beginning similar work (and I would encourage leaders to do this if you aren’t already)….how can you use the ideas shared by Diamandis to spark conversation about the new knowledge/skill sets and dispositions needed in a world that is changing exponentially?
- Peter Diamandis’ talk on New Technology, the Future, and Education
- #AskPeterD a question about exponential technologies and education
- Peter Diamandis on Twitter (@PeterDiamandis)
- Profile of a Graduate & Learning Beliefs – Salisbury Township School District
Get new content delivered to your inbox and the ebook 3 Key Principles of Digital Transformation. The ebook contains valuable information from my experience leading a digital transformation and working with a variety of stakeholders over the past decade.
Latest posts by Randy Ziegenfuss (see all)
- Learner-centered leaders create the space and provide the supports for learners to solve their own problems [#ShiftYourParadigm] - December 12, 2017
- Learner-centered leaders align every decision, purchase and hire to the needs of learners - December 1, 2017
- Future Focused: The WHY and HOW of shaping the future of learning with exponential technologies - November 29, 2017